Sunday, September 25, 2005

raining hope!

The rain didn’t stop pouring, so did the spirit of volunteerism which the Philam employees displayed.

It was overwhelming. My texts to my sister and my friends read – “
Ang lakas ng ulan pero these volunteers just amaze me. You’ll hear no complaints instead jokes are still shared. Sobra nila akong pinapabilib - Kakabilib!”

I left my house at 630AM yesterday for the final GK build I organized for the Philam employees. I smiled because the sun was showing. I was praying hard, Thursday and Friday, for a weather that would allow us to have a successful build in our village in Sitio Ruby, East Fairview. As I wait for the other participants to arrive at the Philam Tower in Makati so we can depart for our village, my officemate suggested I just leave my car in Makati because we will all fit in the company vans. About 5 people backed out, so we had more than enough rides. I decided to heed his advice.

As I emerged from the parking space, my heart broke as I saw tiny raindrops fall. It was raining. As we left Makati, I locked my gaze to the sky hopeful that it’s sunny in Quezon City. It wasn’t, the rains were even harder in Fairview.

We gathered in the Chapel of the village. And I asked (in a jokingly but deep inside very disappointed manner) “What do you think? Are we pushing through? Are we ready to get wet and dirty for our village?” And yes, their answer was “YES.” Along with the GK caretaker and Philam Properties Men, we assessed what we could do with the weather not being on our side. After a short site investigation of the materials that were waiting to be hauled from a certain point to another, we went back to the team and asked them again – “Di naman ganun kalayo ang distance, (mga 30 meters lang-a volunteer added) Game ba tayo?” YES was still the answer.

400 hollow blocks and countless number of sacks of sand and gravel later, we were drenched in the rain. Our shirts and jeans were so dirty that if a washing machine could talk, I’m certain it would complain. (I was wearing white pa for some reason. Diane-one of the vols, took a picture of me and Mench –another vol who wore white - after the build. When I get a copy I’ll post it here) But we were all having fun!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

upper-ito si Diane! lower-a boyscout volunteer in a raincoat

As I looked at the volunteers eating their lunch after almost 3hours of working hard in the rain, I smiled. The site was volunteerism at its finest. It was an inspiration, a reminder that there are a lot Filipinos still willing to give it their all for their country - for their Kababayans.

The 2builds I had with Philam employees, I believe, were messages of hope and of love. Their simple acts of kindness remind us of the value of helping our neighbor. These employees strengthen our faith so we can continue to hope for a better and brighter future for the Filipino children.

In this day and age, where egotism is being promoted by media and even by our political leaders, reminders of selfless love are imperative so that people keep their right values and principles intact.

1 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, September 28, 2005 , Blogger pol said...

kudos to you and your volunteers! nakakabilib nga talaga.:) here's hoping that nobody got sick. mahirap nang magkasakit sa mga panahong ito.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home