Thursday, September 22, 2005

dad turns 50!

My dad has always claimed that his birthday is on September 20. His birth certificate states it’s on September 21. It’s like this – according to Lola Ima (my dad’s mom) daddy was born on September 20 in, then a very rural town, Macabebe, Pampanga. The person she asked to go to the munisipyo to register my dad’s birth got stuck in a drinking session (inuman) that’s why dad’s birth certificate is one day late.

To satisfy dad’s claim, we often celebrated his bday twice – in September 20 and 21. This year was special, Dad turned 50! It’s the big 5-0. Fortunately, my eldest sister, Dodot was in town for Bar Ops so I advised that we eat out with Dad on the 20th (His village friends were planning to throw a party for him on the 21st). As the only well paid sister, Tetet, I believe, was forced to treat us to dinner.

It was a good and memorable dinner. The restaurant was too pricy (Nu-Vo at Greenbelt) though (thank God I wasn’t paying! I’m so poor) and Dad was the earliest in the resto since he overestimated traffic and I had to pick up Tet first. It was dad’s first time in Greenbelt, too bad it was raining so we weren’t really able to show him around. It was a first in a long while. My dad remembered it right, the last time we were all together, just the 4 of us, was when we were in Hong Kong, after my college graduation and before my JVP year.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
fine, fine! yeah, I look like my Dad!

birth certificate issues
I think my family is unlucky with birth certificates.
1. While I was getting my passport, I had to do a lot of stuff because apparently it took about 2 months before my mom was able to secure a birth certificate – late registration! Don’t ask me why because I asked my mom and she couldn’t remember.
2. When Dodot passed the bar we realized she’s been adding a name to her registered name. She’s been using Chelin Joan Marie when her birth certificate only says Chelin Joan.
3. Dodot is now fixing mom’s birth certificate because the space for name is actually BLANK! Her birth certificate only notes FEMALE but there’s no name. Both Mama and Papa (my grandparents) can’t remember how that happened.

Tetet I guess is lucky, there seem to be no problem with hers.

1 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, September 25, 2005 , Blogger Teejae said...

actually when i got my passport for a debate tourney in college, i had some problems with the "Maria" in my name. The birth certificate in our possession spelled the entire "Maria", but I've only used "Ma." in all my school documents.

i dunno how it happend but somehow we got it fixed to reflect "Ma."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home