Sunday, September 18, 2005

Rain

I do not appreciate it that it hasn’t been raining since yesterday.

Considering my 3 week planned work-trip for my bosses in our GK village in Bulalacao, Mindoro got cancelled because of the bad weather. The GK caretaker in Mindoro advised us to cancel trip because the roads will be too dangerous. That was it, 3weeks worth of hard work and coordination down the drain. Badtrip! I was actually also looking forward to it because it was a chance to get out of Manila. Haaay..

But then again, I was with the top 4 people of Philam Group of companies. I also wouldn’t want to risk their lives, the life of Philam group, just because I didn’t listen to the advisory of the people who were already at the site we were supposed to go to.

Rain has never been kind to me. A day before my 20th birthday, my supposed to be newly renovated room (my mom had it fixed while I was away for my JVP year) had a leak in the side ceiling and soaked almost all the pictures, and negatives of those pictures, I have taken ever since I was 10 (the age I started photography). During my last Area Visits and Site Investigations for JVP (Feb2005), on the way back to Manila, I made the mistake of transferring important papers and interviews over the 2 months I was at fieldwork in the bag I checked in. I didn’t believe there would be a problem not wrapping the folder in plastic; it was terribly hot in Iloilo the whole day. Apparently, it was raining in Manila the morning of the same day. None of the other bags got wet, just my bag and my files.

The thing is, yesterday, I was reminded about a sad reality. The reminder was that not all people have good shelter for the rain. That some get terribly sick because of the cold, because the water gets in their house made of cardboards or thin-used plywood. How can I complain so much about a trip that got cancelled because safety was the primary concern when I know for a fact that some people are unsafe even in their own homes? How can I get so sad over a fact that I missed a chance of getting out of Manila when some people are like prisoners in their own villages because of flood or landslide?

So I stopped . . . and prayed. And I continue to challenge myself – to use my life in manner that will be meaningful not only for me or for my family, but for others as well.

It’s a tough challenge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home