Sunday, April 02, 2006

Frustration and Excitement

Image hosting by Photobucket


No! ibook above isn't mine, a huge part of me wishes it's mine though. It's my boss' (Fr.Albert's) who is out of town until April 9.

I almost bought one myself - correction, I almost had my sister buy me one (ibook g4) when i tripled check it's WIWICness (WIWIC stands for Worth What it Costs - can't remember who exactly made it, but wiwic is an original Sonza sisters' shopping word) with my "computer person" friends and in the FinalCut Pro (editing program) book, and realized processor isn't fast enough. I'd rather wait for the time, even if it takes forever, when I can atleast afford a G5.

Admittedly, I was super excited over getting a new laptop. "Pampalubag-loob" over the fact that I'm postponing climbing Mt.Apo for the nth time! I told myself it'll be ok to just stay at home because I will have a new toy anyway. I was already imagining myself practicing final cut in it - editing documentaries and indie movies in it, adding audio effects, etc.etc. So imagine how heartbroken I was when I maturely decided not to get the computer?! I told a few of my other friends - I was so heartbroken that I realized I'm such a geek sulking so much over a gadget I couldn't have than over a boy I couldn't have. (hahaha!)

Blessing in disguise - Fr. Albert bought one for himself. Since I knew he was leaving for Manila and won't be back until April 10, I volunteered to tinker and play with it. I'm adding programs I'm sure Father will need and programs I'm sure I will "need." hehehe. So I don't have my OWN new toy, who cares?! I have one I can still play with.

Countdown for coming back home here in Davao is on! 2months beginning today (April 1) - can't wait for June! What's even more exciting is I might already begin teaching this summer, before the Holy Week and a few days after , before I leave for Manila to begin editing of anticorruption video. . . Paano nangyari yun?! The poor incoming 4th year MASSCOM students required to make documentaries this summer didn't get enough background to equip them. I mean they didn't even have Basic Photography/Cinematography or atleast 3 lighting system. I haven't confirmed yet, but I doubt if they were able to take sequence treatment and storyboard classes sometime in their 3 years of studying. Over the past 2 years, the masscom department has been crazy, losing teachers one after the other. Serious damage control is required to give the students the education they deserve. Ateneo de Davao has high-tech video and editing equipment but if their students don't know the basics, they'll produce mediocre masscom graduates who are most probably incapable of producing their own documentaries and films! (I know it doesn't follow that all masscom grads should do documentaries, but if they had one summer to learn it, then it should be expected that when they graduate, they all know how to do it.) They can't all be editors - who will conceptualize, brainstorm? who will write? who does the production management and legwork? who will be the line producer, the director, the prod. assistant during shoot proper? Hay!

From casual conversations with Sir Bong and a student, it sounds like there is so much to do with so little time to do so. But I'm so game to help out, so game to take the challenge!

1 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, April 03, 2006 , Blogger Teejae said...

KANG: In the family, I coined the term WWIC...but it's not original in the family, it's a RESEARCH TERM used in my workplace.

Once when we were shopping, I think it was in Hongkong or sometime before that, I asked you guys if the gadget I was planning to buy was "WWIC". And then I told you the definition of that at work and you girls immediately picked it up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home