Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Davaoeña and Proud!

lOn my flight back to Manila from Davao last August 21, the pre-departure area was filled with tourists exchanging Kadayawan stories. Some people were giggling/laughing while reviewing pictures they took during their stay in the city; some were still taking pictures admiring the new airport; some were looking at the members of Freestyle band; I heard most share different kadayawan adventures (white water rafting, indak-indak sa dalan, concerts, fruit tripping, etc). I couldn’t help a smile, they were all talking about my home which, to date, I can proudly say is the best place in the world.


I remember when I was younger, Kadayawan wasn’t that big. To us it simply meant fruits are more abundant than usual and classes will be suspended. We, Davaoeños, didn’t really dance on the streets and participated so much in the events. We usually just stayed at home and watched the coverage on TV. In college, because I was part of the college yearbook, Kadayawan became work day. I covered the festival at least 2 times. Taking still photos during the Indak-indak sa dalan and Floral parade meant being with the best photographers in the city, members of the Davao Camera Club. I remember how Sir Chiaw would instruct me to follow him so I don’t get lost in the crowd and how he’d show me some different angles to take pictures of. Joining Kadayawan was a high as it allowed me to experiment on my shots and truly be where the action is. Since then, Kadayawan wasn’t just another festival to me, it was a celebration of the Filipino culture at its finest.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
wala ako dito, but I took this pic with Ninin, Shiva, Ate Lisa and Ate Anj


Being technically based outside Davao for 5 years now meant missing the festival. In 2002 although I was teaching in Ateneo de Davao for a semester, I missed the Kadayawan festivities because I took advantage of the no class days to enroll myself in UP for my masters. Kadayawan 2006, is a coming home of sorts, and it was a sweet homecoming.

SALE – gotta love the mall wide sale during Kadayawan. I remember getting new jeans and shirts half their original prices during midnight sales. Books on sale are also something to look forward to. But this year’s best buy during the Kadayawan season was a pair of new Adidas Yoga/Aerobics’ shoes for mom. My eldest sister, Chelin, and I decided to treat our mom to new rubber shoes because she is very much into aerobics these days. The shoes we got her used to be 3,200+ but we got it at 2,157. Very good buy! The funniest thing about it is that mom said that if the basis is its original price, it’ll be on her top 5 most expensive shoes.

INDAK-INDAK – I had to work Saturday AM, and I felt bad because I was going to miss Indak-Indak (street dancing) Sa Dalan. You see my last memory of it was that it happens in the morning but to my surprise, they scheduled it at 12noon-8PM. So at around 130PM I was sitting inside my friends’ hotel room in Marco Polo, with a perfect view of the Indak-Indak sulking a bit because I didn’t have my camera with me. But our commentary in the hotel room cheered me easily. It was TQ’s, a very good friend and former officemate, first Kadayawan festival so I insisted we join “regular Davao tourists (Ninin, Ate Lisa, Shiva, Ina and Mike Juan)” and honorary Davaoeños (Ate Anj, Jerry Jose, etc.) walk the streets of Davao for a closer Indak2x action. TQ, although she was her usual calm, prim and proper self, enjoyed taking pictures of and with the contestants of the street dancing competition. We all were on a high looking for our favorite street performers making sure we have our pictures taken with them. Of course, no one can beat Shiva’s gameness(is there such a word?) in taking pictures, doing crazy poses with just about anything and anyone on the streets. Nikki, full blooded Davaoeño, born and raised in Davao by Davaoeño parents, couldn’t help but be amazed at how festive Kadayawan has become – it was his first time to actually be on the streets during the festival.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
kahit KALABAW di pinalampas nila Shiva!

GABI NG PARANGAL – Already mentioned a bit about our main Kadayawan night in the last entry so here’s some additional info. We sang our hearts’ out when LINGER was played by one of the front act bands during UpDharmaDown’s concert. We had our individual reasons, which were not a secret to anyone in the group (hehehe), for singing it full of emotions. We sang along to the UpDharma songs we knew and couldn’t be more proud that the bassist was the baby brother of a good friend. Thanks to the 2 bottles of Tequila, paid for by Mike Juan, Ninin and Jerry Jose (if I’m not mistaken, basta I’m sure I didn’t pay for it,hehehe) we had enough, and to some more than enough, booze to keep us on a Kadayawan high. People who had more than enough booze, also known as Shiva and Ninin, were on their utmost high – Shiva sang or more like uttered the lyrics, “Princesa” with one of the local bands while Ninin tried to begin her matchmaking career by trying to set up Ian (UpDharma’s drummer) with me and with Ate Tatit. One boy with 2 girls because “Good Friends are willing to share Boytoys/Boylets.”

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"do you have to, do you have to, do you have to let it linger?!"

FREE BEER – Eto na Ate Anj! - After the concert we all decided to hit MTS (Matina Town Square) for some coffee or beer to wash all the hard liquor we drank. Tostar, the yearly fundraising event of TAU MU Fraternity and Sorority, was being held in the parking lot of MTS – 150Php drink all you can beer. But my good college friend, Pie, is the current President so there was no need to discuss any entrance fee, we didn’t even need to enter the event.


KANG – “Psst Pie! Gusto ko ng beer, nakarami kami ng Tequila eh.” (common friend and law student Darrel was passing by holding a pitcher of beer)
PIE –
“Oh ba, dami dyan oh. Bakit ngayon ka lang? Lasing na baya ako.”
KANG –
“Ako di pa man. Punta muna ako sa aking friends sa Blugre ha.”
(Darrel passes by near Blugre still holding a pitcher of Beer)
KANG –
“Darrel, gusto ko niyan ba.”
DARREL (very much drunk) – “O sure..” (leaves the pitcher and a glass with us)
KANG – “Kunan mo pa akong mga 4 na glass ha. Thank you!”
(Darrel comes back with 4 plastic cups and a fresh pitcher of beer)


*salamat sa blog ni Shiva at Ina para sa mga litrato

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, September 07, 2006 , Blogger cross eyed bear said...

good job, kang! aliw seeing your perspective of the whole thing. and yes, even if i wasn't a drinker, am so proud how you were able to score those beers. mabu-jay ang kang network!!!

 
At 1:52 PM, September 15, 2006 , Blogger kangirl said...

te anj - hehehe.until the next kadayawan.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home