Wednesday, September 20, 2006

4 countries in a week

Emma is from Mongolia, Flavia is a native of Namibia, Simon came from Zambia and Hennie was born and raised in South Africa. In a week, it felt as if I have traveled to 4 countries and I never even left the country.

My 4 new friends are in our country for a month long seminar-course for volunteer management c/o VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) – Bahaginan. Their short course is really based in Searsolin,Cagayan de Oro City because Xavier University is co-sponsoring it. All in all there are 24 participants from 18 different countries as scholars of the said the course. For a week, they were separated to go on different immersion sites all over the country, 4 of which were assigned here in Manila. I was hired by VSO-Bahaginan to be the facilitator/coordinator for the said immersion week. It was a tight schedule from September 10-16, but we still managed to have fun each day.

As I’m still feeling weak today, I’ve been sick since Saturday night (luckily it was the last day of the immersion weak), this entry will just be an intro to my wonderful story of traveling to 4 countries in a week.

If I didn’t meet Emma, Flavia, Simon and Hennie, I actually wouldn’t know what their countries’ flags look like.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Did you know that?

>In Mongolia the average temperature is 4-8 degrees. So cold that during Emma’s first few days here in the Philippines her body needed total adjustment she had asthma attack and was advised by doctor to take anti-histamine 3x a day while she’s in the Philippines.

>There are only 1.8Million people in Namibia? There are so few of them and the sad part is HIV and AIDS is much prevalent in their country. To date, there are about 300+ thousand Namibians who are positive of HIV/AIDS.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Flavia strikes a pose in UP Diliman


>That there is a NGO in South Africa which is the exact equivalent of our Bantay Bata here in our country. It’s called ISO ALABONTWANA, direct translation is, “My eyes fixed on the Child.” It has the same vision of protecting the rights of a child.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Emma&Hennie having fun at Conspiracy

>Most Zambians don’t eat pork. Not because of Religion, even the Catholics of Zambia don’t eat pork because it was never in their tradition to eat the meat of pork and most believe that pigs are one of the dirtiest animals on earth so why eat something so filthy right?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Simon with the relaxing view of La Mesa

3 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, September 27, 2006 , Blogger Teejae said...

ako din, 4 countries in 2 weeks...hehehe...EIGHT if you count the stopovers.

 
At 6:23 PM, November 03, 2006 , Blogger pol said...

Too bad I wasn't able to meet your new friends while they were here in RP. Mongolia and Zambia are 2 of my possible placement countries. (The 3rd one is India.) I have until Nov.8 to weigh my options and hand in my decision.

I've been doing my research on these countries, but it's only here that I got to learn that Zambians don't eat pork. Hmmm...just my kind of people. Is this a sign?:D

 
At 11:10 AM, November 06, 2006 , Blogger kangirl said...

POL - te pi, both Mongolia and Zambia seem to be an interesting place to live and work in. They are very rich in tradition and culture. Kahit saan ka pumunta, I believe you'll fit just right it. Wag na lang siguro sa India, kasi baka dumikit sa iyo ang amoy eh. joke! hehehe.

I have to say one of my favorite participants is Simon, who is from Zambia. And for sure you'll meet him and work with him should you choose to be assigned there. Go for Africa!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home